Home BUSINESS Tax-Smart Company Structure: Selecting Between LLCs, S Corporations, and C Corps
C Corps

Tax-Smart Company Structure: Selecting Between LLCs, S Corporations, and C Corps

by Catherine Silva

One of the most important choices business owners must make when forming a company is selecting the appropriate entity type. S Corporations, C Corps, and Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) are a few of the most popular choices. Particularly in terms of taxation, each entity type has unique benefits and drawbacks. We will examine the tax ramifications of these businesses in this post, along with the best ways for independent contractors to optimize their tax deductions and submit their returns accurately. We’ll also go into detail on the self-employment tax rate, Social Security income tax calculators, and taxes paid by 1099 employees.

Tax Issues for Independent Contractors

Freelancers, also known as 1099 self-employed people, frequently encounter particular difficulties when it comes to optimizing tax savings and submitting taxes. Freelancers receive a 1099-MISC form instead of a W-2 form, which is given to typical workers and shows their revenue from all of their clients and sources. It follows that the employer and employee shares of some taxes must be paid by independent contractors. This is where an independent contractor taxes calculator comes in handy.

The self-employment tax is one of the main taxes owed by 1099 workers. The net earnings of the freelancer are used to determine the amount of Social Security and Medicare taxes to be paid. With 12.4% going to Social Security and 2.9% going to Medicare, the self-employment tax rate for the 2021 tax year is 15.3%. It’s vital to keep in mind that the Medicare part has no income ceiling, but the Social Security portion only applies to the first $142,800 of net earnings.

Freelancers should think about setting up their businesses as an LLC, S Corp, or C Corp to save the most money on taxes. Tax advantages and drawbacks vary depending on the company type.

1. LLC (Limited Liability Company): Because of its flexibility and simplicity, an LLC is a popular option for independent contractors. For tax purposes, an LLC is automatically categorized as a “pass-through” business. In order to prevent double taxation, the business owner’s personal tax return will automatically include the business’s income and losses. Moreover, LLC owners are entitled to exclude from their taxable income business expenses including those for marketing, travel, and equipment.

2. S Corp (S Corporation): For freelancers seeking to lower their tax obligations, a S Corp is another alternative. S Corps are pass-through entities, much like LLCs. A freelancer can divide their income into a salary and dividends under a S Corp, unlike under an LLC. The tax burden associated with self-employment can be reduced for freelancers by doing this.

Payroll taxes, such as Social Security and Medicare, are deducted from the salary part but not from the distribution portion. It is crucial to keep in mind that the wage must be fair and consistent with industry standards in order to abide with IRS guidelines.

3. C Corp (C Corporation) A C Company can offer certain tax benefits even if it is less typical for independent contractors. Rates of corporation income tax, which are imposed on C Corps, are often lower than those of individual tax. C Corps, on the other hand, are also taxed twice.

Profits are thus subject to corporate taxation as well as a second tax when they are paid out as dividends to shareholders. A C Corp might be advantageous for freelancers who do not want to distribute all of their revenues as it gives them greater freedom to keep their profits within the company.

Social Security income tax estimator

Calculators for taxes, including the self-employment tax, are available for use by independent contractors. Freelancers should be mindful of the income cap that was previously discussed when it comes to Social Security income. The maximum net income subject to the Social Security share of self-employment tax for the 2021 tax year is $142,800. The Social Security tax is not applied to any net earnings that are higher than this cap. All net earnings, regardless of income level, are subject to the Medicare part of the self-employment tax.


Freelancers who want to optimize their tax savings and efficiently submit their taxes must select the appropriate company structure. There are specific tax benefits and drawbacks associated with LLCs, S Corps, and C Corps. To choose the most tax-efficient company structure for their purposes, freelancers should carefully analyze their unique circumstances and speak with a tax expert. Freelancers may negotiate the complex world of taxes and make the most of their financial condition by being aware of the taxes that 1099 employees pay, using tax calculators for social security income, and knowing the self-employment tax rates.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment